Thursday, March 24, 2011

An Experiment in Social Lubrication: Part One

Friends, Romans, and other sorts of belligerent drunkards

My sincere apologizes for my negligent posting in recent weeks. I have been overwhelmingly busy with school, work, traveling and other miscellaneous events.

I have SO many delicious malted beverages to tell you about and I am going to start what is in my flagon right now. I apologize my camera is still busted so I will just be posting images from the internet.

   
Harpoon: Leviathan Imperial IPA

Color: Amber

Clarity: Slightly Cloudy

Nose: Citrus and Floral, Very Hoppy

Taste: Much hops but not the most bitter I have had recently I will get back to that soon enough.

Recommendations: grilled shrimp or salmon or any other fish grilled on an open flame.








So on to my next order of business. Uncorking the Past beer tasting.
I have to start this segment out by saying Man was I feeling social anxiety at Brown U. I seriously don't belong there.... I can't wait to go back.

 I have pages upon pages of notes and literature and information given at the event but I seriously doubt you want to know ALL of it. I will say Patrick McGovern and Sam Calagione make one hell of a team and I look forward to seeing them again in the future because they are some crazy smart guys with crazy smart ideas.

Some interesting facts before I get into the brews themselves.

In ancient times alcohol consuming cultures lived up to twice as long as non-alcohol drinking culutres
All mammals are instinctively drawn to enjoy and partake in fermented food and drink
The consumption of alcohol can be dated back to Paleolithic Man



Drum roll please....

Dogfish Head: SAH'TEA

Nose: Spicy, Herbal

Taste: Like Chai Tea and Grass... but in a good way

this one wasn't talked about very much but it was at the tasting and I thoroughly enjoyed it.





Dogfish Head: Chateau Jaihu

The oldest of the four tasted with a recipe dating back to 7000bc
Containing rice, muscat grapes, hawthorn fruit, and malt barley

Nose: Banana and Citrus

Taste: Very light due to the rice, citrusy and fruity, light floral

Recommendations: Orange Cake (appearantly that's what the paper says)

Dogfish Head: Theobroma
Honduran drink of the GODS
Made with chocolate and ancho chilis

Nose: Chocolatey and some sweet spice

Taste: Chocolate and complex

Recommendations: Toasted Nuts and Roast Chicken




and I guess I will call it quits for right now but comment and let me know what you think... facebook and twitter accounts can follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment