Friday, May 13, 2011

Sam Adams Tasting and Brewing....

At school in the Culinary Museum we had a Sam Adams and Wisconsin Cheese tasting. I don't have much to say about any of this except that I thoroughly enjoy cheese much more then I use to.

And Two bottles of Sam Adams Wee Heavy and Artisan Bleu Cheese don't sit right with me. I thought I was going to puke... not that it wasn't delicious which it was but within a half hour of that I was in pain.

Sam Adams:

So with the Sam Adams tasting we had a selection of 6 beers.
I will review 4 of them because if your reading this blog I can assume you have had Sam Lager and Sam Light... If not, stop reading HAVE SOME NOW! I only say that because these were the two beers that got me to fully enjoy the bounty of all that is malt, hops, and yeast (I already appreciated water).

I digress. The other four beers are slightly more obscure then the first two but mainstream for the most part.


Summer Ale:

Color: Yellowish Gold... Lighter then most

Clarity: Mostly Clear

Nose: Citric, Spicy, some Floral notes

Taste: Crisp Citrus, Smooth Spicy

Recommendations: Bacon Cheddar Kobe Burger... A nice bowl of almonds... Fruit Salad. Basically anything you might want at a 4th of July BBQ

If Sam Summer was an amplifier and the volume knob was a drink-ability knob it would go to 11... because it's 1 higher and have dwarfs dancing around stone henge.

Sorry about that. I was watching Spinal Tap earlier but I am also serious too.


Black Lager:

Color: Black, Espresso

Clarity: What does that matter? It's Black

Nose: Roasted, Nutty, Coffee

Taste: Dark Chocolate, Espresso


I wasn't very interested in Black Lager. It just wasn't my cup of tea or beer, but worth a try. I have nothing negative to say but I personally wasn't a fan.


Latitude 48:

Color:Dark Amber

Clarity:Mostly Clear

Nose: Floral, Piny, Some nut notes

Taste: BITTER, piny, floral, some caramel

Many of you probably know I am an IPA nut and this was right up my alley. Great beer for tastings sharp strong cheeses with some astringent qualities.

Wee Heavy:
Color: Brown

Clarity: Translucent

Nose: Vegetative, Oaky, Nutty

Taste: Have some odd carrot tones, oaky, butter


Wee Heavy and I said before with the bleu cheese did a number on my digestion but was very good. It was actually a great pairing. If I were to use is practically with it's pair cheese I would do Crab and Macadamia Nut stuffed Crimini  with blue cheese crumbles finished in a broiler or salamander to toast the cheese, but that's just me.

Now onward and upward.

Brewing:

This past Saturday I made my first brew batch. All and all I was impressed with myself. It didn't go perfect but better then I anticipated. This Thursday I plan to attend a meeting of a local brewers club and hope to pick up a tip or two for my next batch which I will hopefully start in 2 weeks. I hope to have a new batched finished and bottled every three weeks starting next week.

And Here is a standing list of equipment and ingredients I am looking into. Many are money savers and expansionary.

































Item picture
--




Item picture





Item picture





Item picture

No comments:

Post a Comment